Due to the current economic conditions, many people are being forced to reduce unnecessary expenses in order to make ends meat. With a high unemployment rate, stretching the dollar and finding creative ways to save money, has never been more important.
As technology rapidly changes to fit our everyday needs, some developers and retailers have created handy applications to help consumers save money and stretch their budget. While cutting coupons from local papers, fliers and the Internet is one way to save money on every kind of product under the sun, the actual process of finding the coupons, cutting them out and sorting them can be overwhelming and time consuming.
Technology is now available that displays store sales, steals-and-deals, rewards and money-saving mobile coupons directly to consumers’ wireless web-enabled devices. Mobile coupons are quickly becoming the way of the future.
Why carry all those coupons with you when you can have the latest and greatest deals at your fingertips in real-time? Whether you are a die-hard shopper or a bargain hunter extraordinaire, saving money has never been easier with the following shopping and coupon apps that are free and convenient.
Free Store-Specific Shopping and Mobile Coupon Applications
Best Buy App – Best Buy Company Inc. launched its new shopping application for the Apple iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android operating systems. The free app allows customers to scour the latest weekly deals, search and browse and purchase items on-the-go.
- Users can share shopping information with friends and family on Facebook, Twitter and email.
- Customer ratings, reviews and barcode scanning are also available.
- GPS technology enables users to quickly locate a Best Buy closest to them. When a consumer is close to a retail store, special offers and “kickbucks” rewards are instantly displayed on the user’s smart phone.
- The location-based service automatically detects when a user is in the retail location.
While this may cause privacy concerns for some, it is up to the user whether or not to enable location information to be used. The location-based service will also look at the way shoppers shop.
Free OfficeMax App – Last week, OfficeMax Inc. launched its mobile shopping application for iPhone and iPod Touch devices.
- Users can view exclusive offers, shop for products, locate OfficeMax stores and browse and purchase products via the mobile OfficeMax site.
- Customers signed up with the MaxPerks loyalty program can access their account and browse purchase history.
- The application is available for free download from the Apple app store. The app will be available for non-Apple devices in the future.
Amazon App – Consumers can search, view products, compare prices and read reviews on over one million products at Amazon with this free application.
- Users can add products to their Wish Lists or shopping cart too.
- The quick Mobile 1-Click allows users to purchase items in a snap.
- The application is available for the Blackberry, Android and iPhone.
Target Mobile App – In March, Target launched its new program that sends coupons directly to customers’ mobile devices. Users can either register online or text “COUPONS” to 837438. Once registered, users receive text messages on their cell phones with links to a page that contains a variety of money-saving offers. Offers expire on the date listed and new coupons will be added monthly.
- Users can also take advantage of Target’s Barcode Scanning to receive product reviews, pricing, details and more. Consumers redeem discounts at the point of sale by taking a picture of the UPC Code with their built-in mobile camera.
- Users can create, manage and share shopping and gift lists too.
- Daily Deals and alerts are available as well.
- The application is available for free application from Apple’s App Store and is compatible with iPhone and the iPod Touch.
JCPenney Weekly Deals App – Download this free application and receive JCPenney’s weekly deals, in-store sales and special offers right on your mobile device. The free application is compatible with the Apple iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad and is available for download on iTunes.
Free Mobile Coupons and Shopping Apps
ShopSavvy – More than five million people in 24 countries use ShopSavvy, which won Google’s Android Developer Challenge.
- This free application allows users to scan barcodes right from the iPhone or Android device. Simply scan the barcode with the mobile device built-in camera and the application will search for the best deal online and off. Users can also manually enter a products name or number.
- The service also includes alerts and wish lists.
Coupon Sherpa Mobile Coupons – Save money on food, electronics, jewelry, books, clothing and more right from your mobile device. This free service, available for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, finds two types of scannable coupons for all sorts of products in your area. In-store coupons found online and exclusive coupons for Coupon Sherpa users are offered.
Whether you are shopping for back-to-school items or for the upcoming holiday season now is the perfect time to try out these free and convenient shopping applications for busy people on-the-go.